Budgets do not come from the White House. They come from Congress.
- The party that has controlled Congress since January 2007 is the Democratic Party.
- The budget
process for FY 2008 and FY 2009, as well as FY 2010 and FY 2011 was controlled by Democrats.
- In FY 2009 though, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid bypassed George Bush entirely,
passing continuing resolutions to keep government running until Barack Obama could take office.
At that time, they passed a massive omnibus spending bill to complete the FY 2009 budgets.
- Barack Obama signed the omnibus bill as President to
complete FY 2009. Let's remember what the deficits looked like during that period:
- In actual fact, the Democrats only inherited the FY 2007 deficit, the last of the Republican budgets.
That deficit was the lowest in five years, and the fourth straight decline in deficit spending.
After that, Democrats in Congress took control of spending, and that includes Barack Obama,
who voted for the budgets.
- If Obama inherited anything, he inherited it from himself.
- In a nutshell, what Obama is saying is he inherited a deficit that he voted for and then
he voted to expand that deficit four-fold since January 20th.